April 20, 2005

Computers, Evolution, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy



Great little editorial over at the Independent on the new Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy film. I've never actually read the book, or anything by Douglas Adams, for that matter... yet I somehow remain fascinated by its popularity and success. I suppose I just sort of "missed the boat" on the whole affair. The book, published in 1979, seems to be trapped in that hazy period just before my birth, a time of Dungeons & Dragons, E.T., and the Amiga Computer. Stuff I can't claim as my own- and probably wouldn't want to- but nevertheless feel affected by.

I don't suppose I'll ever wind up seeing the film, either. To my mind it would feel just a wee bit like grave-digging, now- and I'll leave the nostalgia to those who were actually alive to experience it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment