December 15, 2009

A beautiful Christmas song that isn't very Christmas-y

Please excuse the performer (Tim Minchin)'s hair and enjoy this wholesome song, in tune in content, celebrating the observance of Christmas by those who'd "rather break bread with Dawkins than Desmond Tutu". In particular, look out for my favourite moment, quoted below.

"I-- don't go in for ancient wisdom.
I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious it means that they're worthy.
I-- get freaked out by churches.
Some of the hymns that they sing have nice chords but the lyrics are dodgy.

And yes, I have all of the usual objections to the mis-education
of children who in tax-exempt institutions are taught to externalize blame,
and to feel ashamed, and to judge things as plain right or wrong.
...But I quite like the songs"



No comments:

Post a Comment